Spring Floral is My UFO for April

It’s appropriate that the number drawn for Judy’s UFO Challenge for April was a Comfort (nursing home) quilt which is in springy pink floral fabrics that I needed to finish.  Fabrics were leftovers from another quilt.  I talked to a long time friend of Mom’s and she told me of a lady who knew Mom who just had her second leg amputated.  She was delighted to receive the quilt and asked that her blanket be removed and the quilt put on her instead.

I used Hobbs 80/20 batting and the pantograph Tea Rose.

Surprisingly, I actually finish this quilt before the last day of the month.  Had it ready to go the 3rd week.  That’s a first for me for this challenge.  Can’t wait to see what May’s number will be.  I am so enjoying getting unfinished projects that have been hanging over my head finished.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a beautiful day.



March UFO Done and Trucked Into the Linen Closet

You just about need a truck to haul this quilt.  The backing fabric is a metallic gold and is rather heavy.  Then you add a 98×108 inch quilt top with many, many seams, and well, you get the idea.  I did use Quilters Dream Wool which is very light weight.  That is also why the quilt looks slightly puffy in  the pictures.

This is my bed quilt for Christmas.  It was the first mystery that I ever did (about 3 years ago).  Pantograph was a simple and quick one called Simplicity.  Originally planned on doing Tannenbaum but decided that adding an additional design was too much.

Here’s a couple of pics.

Thanks for stopping by.


February’s UFO or (better known as) Ugly Made Acceptable

Judy Laquidara over at Patchwork Times (http://www.patchworktimes.com/ has been having a UFO Challenge.  Two months in, I’m two for two.  Seems having structure and deadlines is good for me.  I blogged about this month’s challenge and showed a picture of this ugly quilt  in a previous post.  Originally this quilt was intended for my husband.  I think it was about 4 years ago that I made the top.  At that time his only requirements were that a quilt be warm and big enough.  Before I got it finished, he started making quilts and became much more sophisticated in his quilt likes and dislikes.  Now he likes pure colors with high contrast.  This quilt doesn’t exactly meet those requirements.  But it is done and he has appreciated having it because it is much warmer than the one he usually sleeps under.

The fabric is a very soft brushed cotton.  Hobbs 80/20 batting.  King Tut variegated thread.  I copied parts of the  pantograph Bear Moose Pine 4 by Debra Geissler, arranged it so that the bear and moose were in the tan and the pine tree was on the color strips and then taped it together to make my own pantograph.

Since my husband has been using it, it was somewhat wrinkled for the picture.

I had a helper.  Beau loves this quilt!

Thanks for stopping by to see my February finish and stop over at Judy’s blog.  Lots of info and inspiration.


UFO From 12 Years Ago

I’m participating in Judy Laquidara’s Patchwork Times UFO Challenge for 2011.  Number 6, for me a bargello, was the one I was to finish for January.

I can’t believe it.  This top has been sitting in my sewing “stuff” for (I think) 12 years.  Well, certainly more than 10.  I had to take off 1 partial border and put the new purple border on it.  Other than that, it was ready to quilt.  When I loaded it on my Gammill, I was fussing about the double “D” cups this quilter had in certain areas of the quilt top.  Oops.  The quilter is me.  My dear husband said, “At least you can see that you have become a better piecer in the 12 years since you made this top.”  He’s right.  I wouldn’t make a top with problems like this one now.

So I used Hobbs 80/20 as a base and Hobbs Wool on top of that.  Needed a lot of poof to take up all that fullness.  Then I quilted it to death.  There’s dental feathers, line dancing, bugs, vines and leaves, with a border of curls and leaves.

It feels so good to get something old finished.  I don’t have to feel guiltly about this one anymore.

This picture is before it was quilted.  Unfortunately I didn’t get a good picture of the entire quilt when it was finished.  So the picture above is before the finish.  Tomorrow, when the light is good (that is if it doesn’t rain and the sun comes out), I’ll take a picture of the entire quilt.

Here’s some detail pictures of the quilting.

One of the bugs.

I like the contrast of the line dancing in the various sized rectangles.

Dental feathers and spines.

Frankly, the binding isn’t completely handstitched.  However, I call this done because I like to save hand stitching the bindings for when I’m at my bees.  I can’t do applique then because the light is never good enough, so binding is the perfect project for me to have with me.  If I do it all at home, then I have nothing to take.  Thursday is the standup stitchers meeting so I’ll take it with me to that and then there is the Queen Bee and Guild meeting coming up after that.

Thanks for stopping my.  Click on the link to the right to visit Judy’s blog.  There’s lots of great info and fun there.