I’m so excited that for the first time I didn’t copy someone else’s quilting design. I needed something to fill the large blank block in this Irish Chain quilt. On other quilts, I have stitched a flower in the center with curls and leaves that go to the outside edge in some small blocks. However, that design looked gangly in this large space. So I started sketching and came up with this idea. Then I needed to devise a way to keep the flowers, leaves, curls, and hooked feathers in position consistently. Also wanted to have one stop and start.
Surprisingly, I remembered a stencil I bought 4 years ago when I was just learning how to run my longarm that was no more than registration lines, 8 I think, that intersect in the middle. I used chalk to mark the registration lines and then decided exactly what I would put in each space. Then the center was too poofy, so I put a circle of hooked feathers. It worked out pretty well. Joanne approved the design and here is the first block stitched out.
Note: the top of the block doesn’t have the curl because the block is cut off by the border.
Thanks for stopping by to see what I’m quilting today.